Grand Opera House23rd St. (8th Ave.), New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Pike's Opera House
Built by Samuel N. Pike in 1868, but audiences preferred the Academy of Music. James Fisk and Jay Gould bought it and created a strange pair of roommates: the ground floor housed the renamed Grand Opera House and the upstairs served as headquarters for the Erie railroad. It was the only theatre to pass inspection when the authorities began cracking down on theatre fire safety in 1876. When it was demolished in 1960, it was an RKO cinema.