August Wilson Theatre - Summer 2015 (Photo Credit: Jackie Cotton)

August Wilson Theatre

245 W. 52nd St., New York, NY
Seats (approximate)
1228
Built
1925

ABOUT THIS THEATRE

Previously
known as
Previously known as
Virginia Theatre
ANTA Playhouse
Guild Theatre
Description
C. Howard Crane and Kenneth Franzheim, architects. Built by the Theatre Guild after they outgrew the Garrick, but the new house proved unsatisfactory. They leased it to the WOR Mutual Network for use as a radio station in 1943. In 1950, the American National Theatre and Academy (ANTA) purchased the theatre. They remained there until 1981, when Jujamcyn bought the venue and named it the Virginia, then renamed it for playwright August Wilson in 2005.

To learn more about the history of the August Wilson Theatre, see the Spotlight on Broadway's video on the August Wilson Theatre.
Media
See all 5 photos

LIST OF PRODUCTIONS