Manhattan Theatre102 W. 33rd St., New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
J. B. McElfatrick & Sons, architects. Built by Josh Hart. In 1878, a new manager renamed it the Standard. In 1883, it burned down and was rebuilt, reopening on December 23, 1884. In 1898, William Brady and Florenz Ziegfeld took over, renaming it the Manhattan. In 1901, they leased it to Harrison Fiske, who presented his wife, actress Minnie Maddern Fiske, to great success. After they left, the theatre languished, then became a movie theatre in 1907. In 1909, it was razed for a Gimbel Brothers store.