44th Street Theatre216 W. 44th St., New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Weber and Fields' Music Hall
William A. Swasey, architect. Built by the Shuberts and named for comedy duo Weber & Fields, in honor of them reuniting after years of fueding. However, after two months of the opening production, the team decided to split for good, forcing the Shuberts to rename their new theatre. A rooftop theatre and basement cafe each had some success, with the latter well known as the Stage Door Canteen during the 1940s. In 1945, it was razed to add to the New York Times building.
See all 4 photos