Vauxhall Garden TheatreBowery and Broadway, New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Located in the Vauxhall pleasure garden on land owned by John Jacob Astor. In the summer of 1838, a saloon was built to present comic operas to a fashionable audience. Later managers added other entertainments to the bill. By the 1850s, the once-fashionable retreat area had come to house a rowdy Bowery crowd and the saloon (among other buildings) was demolished in 1855.