Third Avenue Theatre
Third Avenue and 31st Street, NY
Seats (approximate): 2000
Opened July 26, 1875, the Third Avenue Theatre served as a popular home for variety acts and other amusements. Known, in 1878, as Aberle’s American Theatre and later as The American Theatre, it returned to its original name in 1883. It was briefly known as R.H. Jacobs’ Third Avenue Theatre. In 1889, its Sunday night clientele were described as less fashionable than those at neighboring theaters. It was last used a film cinema under the ownership of Fred A. Keeney.