Theatre on Cruger's WharfDock Street, New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
David Douglass, leading the London Company of Comedians, built the theatre in 1758 by the fish markets on the Lower East Side. However, he neglected to obtain permission from the city to produce plays. When he finally petitioned the city, he was rejected. He then attempted to list the venue as "An Histrionic Academy," but this thin disguise was transparent to the local government and Douglass was forced to issue a public apology. In February of 1759, the company headed south to Philadelphia.