Bowery, New York, NY
Originally the "Zoological Institute," which really meant circus sideshow and menagerie. In 1835, it was renamed the Bowery Amphitheatre and remodeled for equestrian and circus acts. Later, it offered minstrel acts. Then, Siegrist and Hoym managed it as a German-language theatre. As the Stadt Theatre, it offered both German opera and American/English drama with great success. But later (and frequent) changes in management, policy, and name led to a closing in 1866, when it was converted to an armory.
Built: 1833 Closed: 1866