Icon

Sans Souci

Broadway, New York, NY
Built
1828
Closed
1829
Demolished
1895

ABOUT THIS THEATRE

Previously
known as
Previously known as
Description
William Niblo leased the Columbian Gardens (est. 1822) and opened a summer theatre on July 4, 1828. One year later, a larger theatre, Niblo's Garden, followed. He leased the Sans Souci to the Bowery company and (in 1829) converted it into a saloon/concert hall.