Proctor's Theatre141 West 23rd St. (6th & 7th Ave), New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
In 1883, playwright Salmi Morse converted a church into the Temple Theatre for his biblical passion play. But he was met with resistance from those who felt his play was sacrilegious, including the magistrates, who shut down the production. After Morse abandoned ship, it operated as a playhouse briefly before reverting to a church in 1885. It was torn down in 1888. The next year, F. F. Proctor built a new vaudeville theatre on site. Finally, it became a cinema.