New Victory Theatre209 W. 42nd, New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Albert Westover, architect. Built by Oscar Hammerstein with an original capacity of 1,100 and address of 207 West 42nd Street. In 1902, leased to David Belasco, who remodeled it and renamed it for himself. In February of 1931, Billy Minsky's burlesque took over. In 1942, it was a second-run movie house, the Victory. It showed pornographic movies in the 1970s and 80s but more respectable fare had returned by the time it closed in the early 1990s. In December of 1995, it reopened as the New Victory, a beautifully restored playhouse for family entertainment.