New Theatre Comique728 Broadway (Waverly), New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
New York Theatre
Lucy Rushton's New York Theatre
Department store owner A. T. Stewart fashioned a theatre from the Unitarian Chuch of the Messiah. (It eventually earned the reputation of being haunted by its religious beginnings.) Stewart built his theatre for his protege, Lucy Rushton, and named it for her later that year. After she departed, it underwent many name and management changes. In 1881, Harrigan & Hart moved their Theatre Comique to this location, extensively refurbishing the interior. Sadly, it burned down three years later, in 1884.