New Amsterdam Roof214 W. 42nd St., New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Danse de Follies
Herts & Tallant, architects. Theatre situated on the roof of the New Amsterdam Theatre. Opened as the Aerial Gardens in 1904, presenting legit shows during the summer months. By 1910, the New Amsterdam was air-conditioned and the Aerial Gardens closed. Florenz Ziegfeld reopened it in 1915, presenting late-night performances until 1921. Became a radio studio in 1930 and, later, a television studio. Structural flaws preventing further theatrical use prompted the auditorium to be gutted in 1983.