Nassau Street TheatreNassau St., New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Van Dam Theatre
Building owned by Van Dam (acting governor of NY). In 1750, Walter Murray and Thomas Kean managed. London theatre manager William Hallam sent Robert Upton to check out the theatre but, instead of reporting to Hallam, Upton joined the acting company on Nassau St., remaining there after Murray and Kean moved on. After Upton failed as manager, Lewis Hallam (William's brother) arrived, taking his place from September 1753 to March 1754. In 1758, a German church was built on the site.