Movieland1567 Broadway (47th St.), New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Forum 47th Street Theatre
Herbert J. Krapp, architect. Built by the Shuberts on the former Mathushek & Son piano factory site. From 1921 through 1957, the venue alternated movies and live theatre (including a fair amount of striptease and burlesque). Movies kept it afloat throughout the 1960s, 70s, and 80s, until 1988, when the Shuberts sold it. The theatre lobby became the Roxy Deli and the auditorium became the disco Club USA (as of 2005, the W Hotel).
See all 3 photos