Mechanics Hall472 Broadway, New York
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
The auditorium in Mechanics Hall only became noteworthy in 1847 when the Christy Minstrels moved in--and stayed for nearly a decade, signaling the start of the minstrelsy craze. After they left, the venue continued on as a variety house for twenty more years, eventually known as Butler's American Theatre.