Hope Chapel720 Broadway, New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Kelly and Leon's
Lina Edward's Theatre
Began life as Hope Chapel, a religious assembly, before offering lectures and entertainment. It became a minstrel house in 1855. In the 1860s, it was managed by Edwin Kelly and Francis Leon (the leading female impersonator of the era). By 1870, it was known as Lina Edward's Theatre.