Fifth Avenue Theatre31 W. 28th St. (Broadway), New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
New Fifth Avenue Theatre
As Gilsey's Apollo Hall (later the St. James), patrons could attend lectures in the upstairs hall or musical entertainment in the main auditorium. When Daly's Fifth Ave. Theatre burned down in 1873, Augustin Daly moved here and renamed it New Fifth Avenue, staying until 1877. It was destroyed by fire in 1891 and rebuilt. Henry Miner managed it in the 1890s and F. F. Proctor added it to his vaudeville chain in 1900. After spending the 1930s as burlesque house and movie theatre, it was demolished in 1939.