Embassy 49th Street Theatre155 W. 49th St., New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Punch and Judy Theatre
Murray & Dana, architects. Actor-producer Charles Hopkins built and managed this intimate playhouse. In 1926, Hopkins renamed it after himself. Once the Depression hit, it was no longer possible to sustain it, and Hopkins leased the venue to movie exhibitors. It was first an all-British cinema, then foreign films, then second-run Hollywood fare. Finally, pornography became the policy, and "Deep Throat" had its premiere here in 1972. Eventually, more respectable movies returned. In 1987, it was razed.
See all 2 photos