Castle Garden TheatreBattery Park, New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Built in an old fortress (dated to 1808). After 1812, the government leased Fort Clinton to private citizens, who turned it into a public garden. A stage built for concerts was given a roof in 1824. In 1839, it was reconstructed to be an actual theatre, presenting minstrels and dramas. In 1847, it was again remodeled, this time to be an opera house. In 1855, the city reclaimed it for an immigration depot, only to convert it to an aquarium in 1896. In 1940, it was razed for the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel.