Burton's Chambers Street TheatreChambers Street (Broadway & Centre), New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
Ferdinand Palmo's Opera House
Restaurant fortunes allowed Ferdinand Palmo to realize his dream of bringing Italian opera to New York and he built on the former site of Stoppani's Arcade Baths. Palmo's venture was a failure and, after two years, he returned to his former business. In 1848, actor-manager William E. Burton took over, presenting successful seasons of light comedy until his departure in 1856. The theatre then housed minstrels before being leased to the federal government for use as a court building. Razed in 1876.