Blanchard's AmphitheatreChatham Street, New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
American Opera House
Chatham Gardens Theatre
Began as a canvas tent in the Chatham Gardens (right by the Park Theatre) for summer concerts. Then, manager Hippolite Barriere added dramatic works to the bill. But the Park Theatre's manager pressured the authorities to enforce fire laws. Rather than give in, Barriere built a permanent building in 1824. In 1829, James Hackett took over and renamed it the American Opera House, therein changing the policy. In 1830, it offered equestrian shows. It was converted to a chapel (later hotel) in 1832.