Acme Theatre58 E. 14th St., New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Built as part of the Union Square Hotel. In 1870, opened as a variety house run by Sheridan Shook, who left in 1872, yielding it to Albert M. Palmer, who had great success changing the policy to dramatic works. After he left in 1883, his successors restored vaudeville, and Keith & Albee later added it to their chain. In 1921, it was the Acme, a movie house that eventually showed Soviet films. Widely believed to have been razed in 1936, it may have remained within its larger building until the 1990s.