Times Square Church1655 Broadway & 237 W. 51st St, New York, NY
ABOUT THIS THEATRE
Previously known as
51st Street Theatre
Thomas W. Lamb, architect. Built by Warner Bros. as the first movie theatre specifically designed for talkies. In the 1930s and 40s, it alternated between live theatre and movies. Anthony Brady Farrell bought it in 1948 and reopened it as a legit house, the Mark Hellinger, the next year. The Nederlanders purchased it in 1970. In 1989, after a string of flops, they leased, then sold it to the Times Square Church.
See all 5 photos