Joseph Mangin, architect. Built by wealthy New Yorkers for $130,000. William Dunlap managed in its early years (when it was the only theatre in New York) but left due to dwindling box office receipts. Sold to John Jacob Astor and John Beekman, who leased it to managers at reduced rates. Stephen Price and Edmund Simpson managed it together from 1808 to 1815. Price stayed on through the rise of competitive theatres in the 1830s, leaving in 1840. Burned down on December 16, 1848 and replaced by stores.